The Sprinter build worked very well but there were about 100 improvements/changes that made the Transit build better. The following list describes the improvements/changes.
58. Added Cutting Board Made a holder for the cutting board on back of sink door.
59. Plastic Shower Walls Sprinter had painted plywood shower walls. Transit has
Macrolux twin wall polycarbonate walls.
60. Eliminated Sink Bottom Drawer Left open slot at bottom of sink cabinet for the storage of
the Camp Chef Ranger II two burner propane stove.
61. Replaced Coleman Stove Replaced 10,000 btu stove with Camp Chef 17,000 btu
two burner stove to enable boiling water in the wind.
62. Shortened Sink Cabinet Door Enables removal of stove and allows opening of door if
person sleeping in the aisle.
63. 3 Sink Drawers Instead of 4 Eliminated one drawer to allow storage of propane stove
at bottom of sink cabinet.
64. Portapotti Support Change Put shower water tank under portapotti to use the space
and elevate the portapotti to correct height.
65. Added Counter Height Shelf Added second shelf in shower to more than double
counter surface area.
66. Shower Shelves Removable Both shower shelves are easily removed to shower.
67. Plastic Decking Header Hid end of flooring at back doors with plastic decking.
68. New Design Panel Attachment Used 3/4" wood strip glued to 7/32" plywood to bolt
plywood panel to the 80/20 frame.
69. Added 12 volt plug Added plug at end of bench seat on driver side.
70. Removed Outlets From Panel Sprinter had a 120 volt duplex outlet and a 12 volt plug
in the seat panel. Deleted both.
71. Deleted Sink Duplex Outlet Moved outlet to forward wall of sink cabinet.
72. Moved Solar Controller Morningstar MPPT solar controller moved inside the
electrical cabinet. No need to see the flashing lights at
night. Do not need to see it.
73. Added Solar Circuit Breaker Makes it possible to turn off the solar power.
74. Removed One 80/20 Extrusion Have four across van extrusions in floor framework in
Transit instead of 5 that were in the Sprinter.
75. Added Sink Light Switch Relocated sink overhead light switch to forward end
of sink so it can be reached from in front of the sink as
well as from outside the open slider door.
76. Revised Lighting Put lights over the area that needs light. Two above the
sink, one above shower and one above rear doors.
77. Added LED String Lights Put LED string lights in the bottom slot of the upper
cabinet's bottom 80/20 extrusion. Switches on cabinet
bottom so they can be reached from bed or aisle.
78. Eliminated General Lighting Removed general ceiling lighting and replaced with lights
located directly above what needed lights.
79. Window Cover Storage Store Relectix window covers behind bed panels.
80. Interior Ceiling and Wall Paint Used Hy-Tech Kote # 2150 insulating spheres in paint.
81. Water Quick Disconnect Put garden hose quick disconnects on fresh water pump
outlet and on shower water pump outlet.
82. Eliminated Seat End Panels Left under seat end open for easier access.
83. Storage Baskets Rotated The Hole Goods Simplify # 25092 10" x 12" x 8" tall
baskets were turned 90 degrees to add one basket
in each upper storage cabinet.
84. Cabinet Under Refrigerator Used a door instead of two drawers.
85. Raised Refrigerator Removed the Magnum Remote from above the
refrigerator and raised the refrigerator up. Easier
access and increased storage space under refrigerator.
86. Relocate 8D House Battery Sprinter 8D was between the left rear wheel well and
the rear door. Transit had to have 8D located in front of
the left rear wheel well.
87. Automated Vehicle Inverter The Sprinter vehicle powered inverter was manual
start/stop. Had to restart every time engine restarted.
Transit inverter can be set to automatically restart each
time engine starts.
88. Heat Shower Water Added the ability to use excess solar power to heat the
shower water on full sun days.
89. Sink Table Support Added door below fold down table to support table.
90. Indoor/outdoor Carpet Rugs Cut three easily removed carpets to cover floor.
91. Clear Water Hose to Sink Used clear hose to sink faucet so fresh water tank level
92. Painted Plywood Edge Sprinter had solid cherry to hide plywood edge. Painted
the plywood edge in Transit.
93. Increased Bed Length Sprinter had 70" bed length. Transit has 73 1/2" bed
length accomplished by not filling the window indents
94. Passenger Seat Swivel Fabricated the seat swivel
95. Two Solar Cable Fittings Used two 90 degree bulkhead cable fittings instead of
96. Retained MC4 Solar Connectors MC4 connectors are between roof penetrations and the
solar panel. Easy to change panel if required.
97. Light Out Slider Door Added a LED light to use when slider door is open.
98. Used 1" Closed Cell Insulation In deep pockets above and below the window indents the
closed cell foam was used instead of small pieces of
Polyiso rigid insulation. Two layers easier to install.
99. Added Fresh Water Fill Tube Used PVC pipe to pipe water to the fresh water tank.
Use boat transom expandable rubber plug to close.
100. Added Sink Storage Shortened the sink drawers to add storage between
end of drawers and the fold down table.
101. Added Cubby Hole Storage Built 3 pocket holes in wall on both side walls for storage.
102. Privacy Curtain Locations Privacy curtain can be located at four different locations.
103. Plastic Container Storage Added row of plastic storage containers above slider door.
104. Continuous Hinges Door hinges are continuous aluminum hinges without holes cut to full length of the door. Holes drilled where
needed for mounting.
Gas engine available, lower repair costs, more service locations, dash gages, limited slip option, no limp home mode, not a Mercedes.
2. Gas Engine
Less initial cost, lower scheduled maintenance costs, simpler emission system, no glow plugs,
3. Extruded Macrolux Ceiling
Lighter than expanded PVC, does not mar and some insulation properties.
4. Table for Two
Much easier to fold up bed panels to create table for two.
5. Eliminate Electrical Reel
Changed to simple 3 prong plug under driver door.
6. Delete Rear Curtains
Reflectix foil with tabs fit in slot between glass and door steel.
7. Window Insulation
Added removable Reflectix window covers instead of cloth curtains.
8. Replaced Removable Bed Panels
Added hinged panels that store vertical against van walls.
9. 3" x 3/4" 80/20 Table Legs
Changed from narrow SS tube to wider 80/20 to increase stability.
10. Moved Bed Platform Forward
11. Centrifugal Water Pump
Added space between table and rear doors to provide room for folding bike storage.
Less cost, low noise and less space required compared to normal positive displacement RV pump.
12. Fabricated SS Shower Tank
Replaced portable 5 gallon beer keg with custom SS tank. Tank is also the pedestal for the porta potti to bring it up to the proper height.
13. Added Electric Air Heater
Permanently installed a Broan # 124 750 watt air heater with a 86W thermostat. Sprinter had portable heater.
14. Larger Solar Panel
300 watt LG Model LG300N1C-B3 solar panel. Replaced two 205 watt panel that was used on the Sprinter.
15. 1000 watt Vehicle Inverter
Changed from 600 watt in Sprinter to 1000 watt. Can charge at 50 amps, run 750 watt air heater and a 625 watt shower water heater.
16. Samlex SK1000K-112 Inverter
Pure sine with CR-8 remote with automatic start/stop to replace 600 watt Xantrx Prowatt inverter.
17. Reduced Number of Duplex
Sprinter had 8 and Transit has 6 Electrical Outlets
18. Blue Sky DC Fuse Block
5026 has positive and negative terminal blocks, easier wiring and identification tags. Sprinter had a Iota IDP-30 combination AC/DC panel.
19. Added 6 Position Fuse Block
Installed 6 position on passenger side to power 12 volt items on passenger side of van. Less wiring crossing van.
20. Larger Electrical Panel Space
More room for wiring and controls.
21. Different Refrigerator
Vitrifrigo C85iBD4-F has compressor located at the bottom instead of the top. Larger freezer size, one additional door shelf and is 1/3 more efficient.
22. Deleted 80/20 Roof Rack
Less visible from the street without rack. Used two angles at each corner of panel. Added wood supports between the roof ribs inside the van.
23. Center Bottom Drawer Guides
Wood guides instead of ball guides.
24. 80/20 Sink Cabinet
Sprinter had wood cabinet without 80/20
25. Sink Countertop
Used 1/2" Corian instead of thick maple laminate.
26. Gray Water Tank Location
Gray tank located on slider door side of van instead of driver side to allow more under van storage.
27. 1/4" Cabinet Panels
28. Used Elastic Stop Nuts
29. Light Over Passenger Seat Table
Sprinter had 1/2" panels.
Bolts loosened in Sprinter with serrated flange nuts.
Added light over table.
30. Thermally Isolated 80/20 Frame
Bolted Sprinter 80/20 directly to the Sprinter steel body. Added plywood or plastic spacers between 80/20 and Transit body to provide a thermal break.
31. Fabricated SS Shower Pan
Needed smaller size shower pan.
32. Added Inside Van Tent
Double layer cloth with Thinsulate between the layers. Wanted to heat smaller space.
33. Increased Height of Shower
Transit high roof van is taller than Sprinter high roof.
34. Relocated Circuit Breakers
Installed circuit breakers on indented panel instead of inside the electrical panel.
35. Added 4 Position Selector Switch
Switch directs power to charger or shower water heater or air heater or off.
36. Upper Cabinet Plywood Floor
Used plywood to connect front 80/20 frame back to wall.
37. Eliminated Basket Railing
Lowered floor and used lower extrusion for retaining rail.
38. Relocated Shore Power Switch
Switch moved to control panel at top of shower wall.
39. Added 12 Volt Plugs at Bed
Added plugs at both ends of bed platform.
40. Insulated Bed Panels
Bed panels are a sandwich of 7/32" Plywood on top, 1" rigid polyiso center and 3/16" indoor / outdoor carpet bottom.
41. Changed Lift Up Table Slide
Used 1" 80/20 extrusion with linear bearings for table side to center table on passenger seat.
42. Sink Plugs and Light Switch
Added 120 volt duplex outlet, 12 volt plug and sink light switch to forward end of sink.
43. Rotate Porta Potti 90 Degrees
Rotating the toilet 90 degrees added more standing room in shower.
44. Sink Water Switch
Added switch to start / stop water pump on wall behind the sink.
45. One Piece Seat Top
One piece of 15/32" plywood for seats instead of three pieces.
46. No Sot in Ceiling 80/20
Cleaner look to framework.
47. Rubber Floor Not Under Sink
Sprinter sink was on top of rubber floor. Transit rubber can be lifted and removed.
48. Seat Back Removable
Could not easily remove seat back on Sprinter.
49. Shorter Seat Back Length
Seat back does not have angle at back of van.
50. Remote Start
Transit remote start option purchased. Can start engine while still in bed to heat the van interior
51. Relocate Vehicle Inverter
Vehicle powered inverter is located behind the driver seat instead of behind the passenger seat. Transit inverter is not enclosed in a housing for better cooling.
52. 1" Gray Eater Tank Drain
The Sprinter drain was previously 3/4"
53. No Gray Water Drain Valve
Used 1" Transom plug instead of a valve
54. New Design Panel Angle
Changed design of the angle bolted to the 80/20 for panel mounting
55. Got Rid of Propane Tank
Bought refillable 1 # propane bottles. Local sporting goods store will fill 1# bottles for free.
56. Added 1/8" MLV Under Floor
Mass loaded vinyl on top of floor corrugations.
57. Shortened Fresh Water Tank
Shorter fresh water tank allows more storage under the sink.